Start a Free Trial Today!
Become a more effective, efficient, and engaging English/Language Arts teacher with GrammarFlip!
Reach every student by individualizing your instruction, and at the same time, save yourself valuable hours spent planning and grading.
Compound-Complex Sentences Definition
A compound-complex sentence consists of two or more independent clauses and one or more dependent clauses.
Examples of Compound-Complex Sentences
Some examples of compound-complex sentences would be the following (note the underlined dependent clauses):
- I invited Bruno to the concert, but he can only go if one of us gives him a ride.
- Kaci has a bountiful vegetable garden, so she is always outside when it is sunny.
- As soon as I heard the news, I called Nathan, and we made plans to celebrate.
- I passed the test, but I would have gotten a perfect score if I had studied for the vocabulary section.
- You can come pick up the cake, or if you would prefer, we can deliver it to you.