Start a Free Trial Today!
Become a more effective, efficient, and engaging English/Language Arts teacher with GrammarFlip!
Reach every student by individualizing your instruction, and at the same time, save yourself valuable hours spent planning and grading.
Relative Pronouns Definition
A relative pronoun is a type of pronoun that introduces a relative clause. The following words are relative pronouns: that, which, who, whom, whose.
Examples of Relative Pronouns
Some examples of relative pronouns in action (introducing adjective clauses) would be the following:
- The crowd cheered the runner who broke last year’s record.
- Her favorite homemade cookies, which have been awarded many prizes, have the perfect balance of chocolate and peanut butter.
- Shandra, whose essay won first place, will attend our local college in the fall.
- The class president will be Jerome, whom we met last summer at camp.
- I reached for the bowl that was on the top shelf.