Start a Free Trial Today!
Become a more effective, efficient, and engaging English/Language Arts teacher with GrammarFlip!
Reach every student by individualizing your instruction, and at the same time, save yourself valuable hours spent planning and grading.
A colon is a punctuation mark that follows an independent clause and introduces a list of items.
Examples of Colons
Some examples of colons would be the following:
- Justine had forgotten the most important step in baking the cake: preheating the oven.
- Make sure you are turning in all the parts of your project: your essay, your bibliography, and any rough drafts you wrote.
- The soups of the day are as follows: broccoli cheddar, chicken noodle, and tomato bisque.
- Georgia has traveled to several countries: Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, and Japan.
- The following students will be team captains in our review game: Quentin, Jacqueline, Gustavo, and Daphne.