Start a Free Trial Today!
Become a more effective, efficient, and engaging English/Language Arts teacher with GrammarFlip!
Reach every student by individualizing your instruction, and at the same time, save yourself valuable hours spent planning and grading.
Using Possessives with Gerunds
Because gerunds function as nouns, if a noun or pronoun precedes a gerund, it must be in the possessive case to modify the gerund.
Examples of Possessive Use with Gerunds
Some examples of possessive use with gerunds would be the following:
- My babysitting my younger siblings prepared me to be a camp counselor.
- Her whispering ruined the movie for everyone.
- Their constant snacking has not made my diet any easier.
- I deeply appreciate your working tirelessly to complete this report.
- Did your mother agree to our having a sleepover tonight?